I Haz the Fatz & Marie Claire is Appauled

If you haven't caught wind of why 'Marie Claire' is trending on twitter or haven't yet been made aware of the VARIOUS  blog posts dedicated to Marie Claire, here's the 'skinny' (pun intended).
Note to editors: When someone hears about news like this on the same day, while abroad, it is most likely bad publicity for your product.

An article, eloquently entitled, "Should Fatties Get a Room? (Even on TV?)" hit the cyber grape vine today in which the author, Maura Kelly, begins to criticize the sitcom, Mike & Molly, and then takes a right turn into a diatribe against fat people.

It all began with a simple question from her editor:
The other day, my editor asked me, "Do you really think people feel uncomfortable when they see overweight people making out on television?" 
And here is one of the gems which shows her opinion and screams (*spoiler alert*) Eww The Fatties Are Taking Over the World attitude:
My initial response was: Hmm, being overweight is one thing - those people are downright obese! And while I think our country's obsession with physical perfection is unhealthy, I also think it's at least equally crazy, albeit in the other direction, to be implicitly promoting obesity! Yes, anorexia is sick, but at least some slim models are simply naturally skinny. No one who is as fat as Mike and Molly can be healthy. And obesity is costing our country far more in terms of all the related health problems we are paying for, by way of our insurance, than any other health problem, even cancer.
Let's get one thing straight Mz. Kelly, no matter what you look like or your size (be it fat, skinny, or in between), you can be healthy! Heck, I know there were points in my life were I was a vegetarian/vegan, working out almost as much or more than my skinnier, junk food eating friends and I was still larger. Haven't you heard the old adage: you can't judge a book by its cover.

But apparently it is all about aesthetics:
I think I'd be grossed out if I had to watch two characters with rolls and rolls of fat kissing each other ... because I'd be grossed out if I had to watch them doing anything. To be brutally honest, even in real life, I find it aesthetically displeasing to watch a very, very fat person simply walk across a room - just like I'd find it distressing if I saw a very drunk person stumbling across a bar or a heroine [sic] addict slumping in a chair.
You got that right reader, watching fat people doing a simple task like walking is as painful to watch as a stumbling drunk person or a heroin (note: Doesn't Marie Claire have spell check for their high and mighty writers?) addict slumping in a chair! And don't even get her started on FAT PDA!

But let's get one thing straight, this woman is no bigot:
Now, don't go getting the wrong impression: I have a few friends who could be called plump. I'm not some size-ist jerk. And I also know how tough it can be for truly heavy people to psych themselves up for the long process of slimming down. (For instance, the overweight maintenance guy at my gym has talked to me a little bit about how it seems worthless for him to even try working out, because he's been heavy for as long as he can remember.) But ... I think obesity is something that most people have a ton of control over. It's something they can change, if only they put their minds to it. (Emphasis mine; added to show the ludicrous nature of this woman's thinking)
She has 'plump' friends (Are we talking a size 2? Because you seem to have a skewed view of the human body) so therefore she can't be size-ist, the way a homophobic person can claim to have gay friends to cover his/her bigotry. And please explain to me what you know about how a heavy person feels during the 'long process of slimming down'. Oh, and have you considered the fact that many of us, 'heavy people', might love our bodies just as they are!

But nope, it doesn't matter if you love your body or not, because here are some tips to make you more appealing to the mass populous (note: May I have some facts, please! Maybe some sources!):
I'm happy to give you some nutrition and fitness suggestions if you need them — but long story short, eat more fresh and unprocessed foods, read labels and avoid foods with any kind of processed sweetener in them whether it's cane sugar or high fructose corn syrup, increase the amount of fiber you're getting, get some kind of exercise for 30 minutes at least five times a week, and do everything you can to stand up more — even while using your computer — and walk more.
Ah! That was the missing piece! Thank you, oh skinny one, for the knowledge I have been searching for since birth! Now I shall make a list with these suggestions and post it on that torturous fridge so that I never cross the border into Fattyville, population me, again!

I guess this whole hubbub comes to no surprise to me in a world where Karl Lagerfeld openly hates fat women, curvy actresses are stressed into slimming down (see: America Ferrera, Kate Winslet, etc.), and where large department stores still won't accept that women (and men, for that matter) come in sizes larger than a Large.

So Mz. Kelly, I apologize for my disturbing body and for my love of making out (with partners of all sizes)! But just realize that your hateful words are the epitome of cyber bullying---and it isn't just gay teens who are killing themselves over words just like the ones in your article. So cut the fat-shaming because this isn't your diary, it's the web---and we can all read between the lines of your helpful article.

Oh and P.S. Mz. Kelly, we fat folks have sex too! Ahhh!

(Give the editor your two cents by emailing her: kschweitzer@hearst.com)

2 comments:

Shalanna said...

Think of the poop-storm that would be going on right now if she had substituted any of the following terms for "overweights" or "fatties" or "obese": "Those Hispanics" "Those Muslims" "Those Jews" "Those Asians" "Those Down's Syndrome Sufferers" "Those N***ERS" "Those wheelchair-users" "Those disabled returning soldiers who are so hard to looook atttt"

But she's got the same MIND as the people who use those slurs. It is a defective mind, and it sees "OTHER" as threatening and inferior. Some of that is attached to the question "am I really the superior one and are all my aspects the only positive ones"? People who are insecure about their own worthiness will scorn and put down others because this makes them feel more useful and worthy. That's the only reason I can think of for starting this kind of "war." I realize that fat is the final frontier of hate and prejudice, but HECK, people, look around and realize that if it were that easy for disabled people, those with diabetes, etc., to lose weight, they'd have done it--just to shut up the hecklers. I don't go around insisting that everyone with pimples be immediately hidden from view 'cause it's UGLY, or some other crazy thing, so SHE should not get a bully pulpit for that kind of screed. She should be fired. Look what happened to Elizabeth Moon and Juan Williams recently for remarks about Muslims! It's a similar situation!

Linda said...

I completely agree with you Shalanna!
And I would even argue that all the fights to eliminate the slurs you mentioned above are still happening as well!

"Othering" has been around forever and I'm glad this heckler was immediately called out on her hatred!

And I can't help but chime in (with everyone else who was affected) and say that this woman should be fired! BUT instead Marie Claire seems to be publishing (weak) counter-points by GREAT bloggers to try to regain some 'fatty-love'. In reality, they should post the REAL responses those bloggers posted on their sites BEFORE Marie Claire got to them!

Thanks for your insight!

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails
 
Home | Gallery | Tutorials | Freebies | About Us | Contact Us

Copyright © 2009 Celluloid Geek |Designed by Templatemo |Converted to blogger by BloggerThemes.Net